The Simplifire

Where young professionals go to get paid to talk

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Ethiopian Starvation

http://peacejournalism.com/ReadArticle.asp?ArticleID=2372
Alright guys. Read this and tell me you're not inspired to do something. We need to start raising money. You guys agree? I'm thinking start making flyers/posters (that can be our donation) for our neighborhoods. Make people trust us. If we do this in our own sub, I was thinking about actually having a posterboard on the porch showing how much money was raised, and then eventually show the "receipt" from the UN or whatever, showing the total given.

You can deposit stright to UN OCHA (United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs) at Chase Bank (I think). Or, to be more specific, you can donate to the Horn of Africa Drought relief. I just sent an email to UNICEF about how to make specific donations NOT just online by credit card.

So what are your feelings?

6 Comments:

  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jason Zito said…

    Its still suprising to me when I feel as moved as I do now. I never felt this strongly before, but it is so sad to think of the pain people are going through. I want to help them. What is the link to the site you are starting? I will put it on my blog and help in any way I can.

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger shawn said…

    http://www.unicefusa.org/ert/reinvention

    Click "Join Our Team," then "I Agree," and then join the team by filling out the form! This will allow you to email others and invite them to join.

    Or, if you want to remain anonymous, or just not join, click on "General Team Donation" on the right side of the screen. This will let you just donate.

    The one thing I don't like is on the team page it has the team members listed and how much they've donated. It's not necessary to share that. If anyone doesn't want that to be public, they can make their own page or do the General Team Donation.

    I'm glad you're interested!

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Chris Trumble said…

    the interface is kind of clunky. I think i made my own page and joined team reinvention too. if i donate, will it go toward my page or the team?
    if it does not go toward the team, it will be hard to track real progress.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger shawn said…

    It is clunky. I'm pretty sure that no matter where you donate, a total will be kept on your individual page and wherever you are a member of. If you go to the team page, it now has you on there, and I'm assuming it won't matter from whence you donate.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger shawn said…

    Some confirmations:
    Donating from your personal page WILL update the team total.

    Going to the team site and donating through General Team Donation WILL let you donate anonymously.

     
  • At 5:14 AM, Blogger Chris Trumble said…

    Great! thanks for clearing that up. See you tonight, big boy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home