The Simplifire

Where young professionals go to get paid to talk

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Time to Stop Whining

Okay.
I've whined enough. Now is my chance to help the world. Before giving out false information, I just learned from wikipedia that a Harvard report claimed that computer use did not increase a person's risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrom.

So this isn't that serious. After a couple months of working here, my right wrist started to get a little painful sometimes. Not bad pain, just a minor, nagging one, that would sometimes persist for maybe 20 minutes after stopping on the computer. I started using the mouse with my left hand. Then, I ordered a trackball since I found out work would buy it for me. Although it's no more "mine" than the computers. I wonder how much fuss they would put up if on my last day I just walked out with my computer. No one told me I can't.

Well, my boss just asked me how I liked it since he's having a similar occurrence. I didn't really think about it till now, but I haven't had the same pain since then. That must mean the pain was primarily from the mouse, even though my hands are usually on the keyboard. I probably have felt minor versions mostly from resting my wrists on the edge of the desk.

So according to Harvard, I guess I wasn't at risk for CTS, but any time you feel a consistent pain, it's probably a good thing to try to stop it.

So if you've had similar mouse troubles, try a trackball.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Chris Trumble said…

    the only reason you should use a trackball is if your commanding a large intergalactic star-ship of some sort, or are playing golden tee.
    I just don't seem to have the same manual dexterity with one. p.s. i got my new macbook pro, and it has a big ol trackball in the center. no it doesn't.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger shawn said…

    Aren't we all, in our own ways, commanding a large intergalactic starship of some sort? It's called life, Chris. And if you don't wake up and roll the trackballs, you're going to be in for a world of pain when the revolution begins.

    It's true that manual dexterity must be taken over by thumb dexterity. I don't really prefer one over the other, but one added nice thing about a trackball is that you just lift your thumb up if you run out of moving room, you don't have to reposition the entire mouse. And when your desk is cluttered, repositioning a mouse can be like opening a door with shoes in the way--maddeningly annoying.

    Did you really get a new macbook?

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Chris Trumble said…

    yeah i really did. and it rocks so hard it scares me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home